Sunday, January 3, 2010

In which my brains are digested





Yes. Braaaaaaaaains... When two good things in life are conjoined or mixed the results can oft' be messy. While this may prove to be an unsuccessful venture in the adding and subtracting of shampoo+conditioner, Zombie art married (no pun intended) with the realm of Marvel is a delight.


While browsing through a few friendly blogs I happened upon this model of one of the most iconic heroic symbols of modern day pop culture. However, as you can see the web head has clearly fallen victim to the dread malady. What I find particularly interesting about this take on our friendly neighborhood Spider man is that despite his now darkened, macabre appearance and questionable intentions, I'm still filled with an ingrained allegiance to his original nature. Is it simple enough to surmise that my fan boy core cannot let go of the wall crawler's glorious past or does the rabbit hole go deeper? Eating the flesh (albeit reluctantly at times) of his own family should be a clear indication that this pillar of justice and good no longer deserves such high regard. Nevertheless, I believe that it's in my nature to not only forgive this old friend for his wrong doing, but also cheer for him as he rends flesh from bone. What sick natured grey matter has silently brewed beneath my skin? Am I the one who has fallen short of valor? Are my questionable morals taking the lead or am I once again falling victim to a hero in distress? If the later is true then it seems something very interesting has been accomplished by its authors. (It's an age old trick might I add) Give the hero a flaw or inner demon to overthrow and he's immediately humanized. "BUT HOW CAN YOU HUMANIZE SOMETHING BY TURNING IT INTO THE NIGHT SHAMBLING UNDEAD!?" you might ask. Now that's a question for another blog entry isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment