Sunday, January 3, 2010

In which I look at Paradise X


Slowly but surely I'm finishing a Marvel series being drawn up by Alex Ross and written by Jim Krueger. 4 books in and I'm nearly to the point of exasperation. Tell me that comics are shallow and flat. Go ahead. I'll throw this existential mind grenade your way. In comparison to other graphic novels of this size (Crisis-D.C.), I'd say the character development and story continuity is right on par. However, I find it difficult at times to keep the typical linear progression through the book's pages. Due to the premise (a rogue character unwilling to settle with his own fate decides to change everyone else's to benefit the "greater good") there's a mess of time traveling, cloned, and duped characters floating around that can leave one's head spinning. I feel like when the whole saga is said and done I'll be able to sort out the details, but for now I'm happy with simply enjoying the lush art work and witty dialogue. I know I'll be sorry when I flip that last page.

No comments:

Post a Comment